James E. Shepperson (back row, 2nd from right) was hired by the Northwest Improvement company to recruit black miners to come to Roslyn. Between 1888 and 1890 approximately 300 black miners were recruited, most did not know at the time that they were being recruited to break an ongoing strike. Many brought their families, creating the single largest increase in the black population in the history of the Territory. Eventually tensions eased with white and black miners working side by side. African Americans formed both Baptist and African Methodist Episcopal (AME) churches. The Black Baptist Church no longer stands. The AME church, originally St. John_s African Episcopal Church, was located on 5th Street before being moved to its current location on 2nd Street & Arizona on June 26, 1894. It eventually become the Calvary Episcopal Church.